Top 10 things to do
1. Explore the lake’s famous gardens and villas. A holiday at Lake Como wouldn’t be complete without exploring the Lake Como villas and gardens. This region of Italy is particularly known for its historic lakefront villas and manicured gardens including Villa Carlotta, Villa Monastero Varenna and Villa del Babianello and Villa Melzi.
2. Take a boat trip around the heart of Lake Como (between the key towns of Bellagio, Varenna, Menaggio and Cadenabbia).. there’s nothing better than discovering and appreciating Lake Como directly from the water. See the timetable and prices of the public boat service at http://www.navigazionelaghi.it.
3. Try out watersports. The norther tip of lake como is a great place for watersports. KTS40 WindRevolution is a water sport centre based in Colico offering affordable kitesurfing, windsurfing, Canoeing, S.U.P lessons and equipment for rent.
4. Enjoy a cable car ride Take the cable car (funicolare) to the tiny village of Brunate perched on the hills overlooking Como. Brunate is also a great starting point for beautiful nature walks.. Another cable car is the one that from Argegno takes you up to the village of Pigra, a lovely way to see beautiful views of Lake Como from high up! More details at www.funicolarecomo.it
5. Go shopping. Around Como there are many small shops and boutiques, and in the larger towns you will find a great range of boutiques, designer stores and department stores. Como is also the capital of Silk, there are many factories where you can buy silk products like. Bellagio offers tourists cute boutiques and colourful markets. A day of shopping in Milan, the fashion capital of Italy, is also worth it!
6. Enjoy an aperitivo and watch the sun set on the lake in one of the many piazzas of the lake. Colico, Varenna, Tremezzo, Lenno, Menaggio to name a few all have great little bars and cafes that are great places to go for an beer or a prosecco….
7. Take a Walk: There are numerous walks and hikes in and around Lake Como. Whether you just want to take a gentle stroll or a more challenging hike up through the mountains. The greenway is a nice walkway going through the villages of Colonno, Sala Comacina, Ossuccio, Lenno, Mezzegra, Tremezzo and Griante. More challenging hikes include Monte di Tremezzo, Monte Grona, Grigne, Monte Legnone etc.
8. Spend a day on the beach. There are nice natural beaches along the shores of the lake, especially in the norther area, like Colico that has three free beaches, or Sorico…but for those who prefer to swim in a pool, there are lidos along the lake with splendid pools in superb positions where you can usually also find a restaurant and bar service. The most famous Lidos are the ones in Lenno, Gravedona, Menaggio, Bellagio and Cadenabbia.
9. To be sure to have seen (or tasted) all facets of Lake Como, we advise you to discover its culinary mountain specialties (like polenta uncia, polenta taragna, the roasted chestnuts, etc.) or from the lake (like risotto al pesce persico, i missoltin, etc …).
10. Enjoy a peaceful afternoon in your accommodation booked at vacanzelago.com. Indulge yourself with modern conveniences like wi-fi Internet connections and flat-screen televisions, relax on the lake view terraces or take a dip in the large garden pools. Discover great holiday deals at Lake Como.